Long Distance Voter Internships
Do you want to be a part of helping millions of Americans get the information they need to vote? Do you have a passion for politics, democracy, or helping others? Are you a self-starter who likes to take on challenges and solve them? If so, Long Distance Voter wants YOU to make a real impact on voting!
We’re seeking awesome interns who can help us to:
- Raise awareness of the important information that Long Distance Voter provides
- Work to get that information into the hands of the people who need it to register or vote absentee, and
- Build relationships with key organizations to help spread our message.
To do this, we need knowledgeable and dedicated interns in the following areas: development/fundraising, PR/communications, social media outreach, and research.
Qualifications for all positions include:
- A passion for getting the details just right
- An ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent relationship-building skills
- An analytical mind and
- Experience with politics, advocacy, and/or campaigns
- The desire to help others
If this sounds like you, keep reading for our internship descriptions.
Other Things to know
These positions are part-time, and begin at the end of May or early June. Interns will work remotely and may be located anywhere in the U.S., but will be required to check in with the intern coordinator and other LDV staff as necessary. These positions are unpaid, but we may be able to work with your college to provide you internship credit.
Internships with LDV are a rewarding experience that provide a hands-on opportunity to complete a substantive project with a dynamic organization!
The development/fundraising intern will spearhead efforts to identify and cultivate new funding opportunities and provide assistance with all elements of the grant procuring process. The ideal candidate will have some previous experience with grant writing and management.
- Research and develop a list of funding opportunities (grants,philanthropies, etc.)
- Research fundraising strategies of similar organizations
- The prior two tasks will culminate in conceptualizing a proposal and/or marketing products to be used to communicate with supporters
We are looking for someone that can help us reach out and educate the public about absentee voting, voter id, and related issues by developing a proactive media program that advances the organization’s public relations activities. The ideal candidate will have have some previous experience in media relations, developing and maintaining press contacts. The position also requires someone with excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as great attention to detail.
- Compile a media list of outlets that would be appropriate for LDV to reach out to
- Support relationship building by maintaining a list of other organizations that have similar missions to LDV, and reaching out to them when directed
- Monitor and collect press clips on national and state developments relevant to absentee voting/ voter ID developments
- Assist in developing communications trainings and materials for state captains
- Communicate with and support as necessary other LDV interns and staff
Social Media Intern
We are looking for an intern with knowledge of various social media networks, tools and strategies to raise the profile of Long Distance Voter around the web. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated success with carrying out a social media campaign and working with analytics. This position also requires close attention to detail and a clear, concise writing ability.
- Monitor daily activity on LDV’s social media networks for opportunities to interact with the community
- Post updates several days a week to LDV’s social media networks
- Communicate with the other LDV interns and staff as needed, in order to carry out successful social media campaigns
We are looking for someone with a background knowledge of voter I.D., voter registration, and related issues to assist with fact-checking information. This position requires a highly-motivated individual who has impeccable attention to detail and a passion for getting things right.
- Provide research assistance as needed on voter ID, first time voter ID laws, and former prisoner voting rights
- Compiling lists of other organizations working on these issues in the U.S.
- Writing blog posts on these issues as they arise in the media