West Virginia Absentee Ballot Guide
- Voter Registration Form: Postmarked 21 days before the election
- Absentee Ballot Application: Received by the 6th day before the election
- Voted Absentee Ballot: Postmarked by Election Day and received by the Canvass Day (5 days after the election, excluding Sunday).
How to vote by absentee ballot
Register to vote
Recommended: Use our Voter Registration Tool. Enter your information, print and sign the completed form, and mail it to the address printed on the form.
Verify your voter registration
It's best to verify your voter registration before applying for your absentee ballot. If there's a problem with your registration, register again before proceeding.
NOTE: Most people receive their voter registration cards in the mail 2-3 weeks after registering to vote. Don't worry if you lost your voter registration card. You don't actually need it to vote.
Make sure you're eligible to vote by absentee ballot
In West Virginia, you may vote by absentee ballot for any of the following reasons:
- you will be on personal or business travel during both the early voting period and election day;
- you are attending a college, university or other place of education or training;
- you are ill, or have an injury or other medical reason that keeps you confined;
- you are incapacitated due to advanced age or a physical disability;
- you are incarcerated or detained in jail or a home, but m not under conviction of any felony, of treason or of bribery in an election (including any period of probation or parole);
- you employment makes voting in person impossible because of the hours worked and distance from the county seat;
- you are a participant in the Address Confidentiality Program (ACP) with the Office of the Secretary of State;
- the county absentee voting office and your polling place are inaccessible to to you due to your physical disability.
Apply for your absentee ballot
Download and complete West Virginia's absentee ballot application. Mail your completed form to your County Clerk. Unless you are voting absentee by mail because of illness or disability, the ballot must be mailed to an out-of-county address.
You may apply as early as 84 days before an election, but ballots are not printed and mailed until 6 weeks before the election. Your application must be received by 6 days before the election.
Receive, complete, and return your absentee ballot
Complete your ballot, sign where indicated, and mail your voted ballot back to your County Clerk. Your ballot must be postmarked by election day.
|State Election Website:||http://www.sos.wv.gov/elections/Pages/default.aspx|
|Local Election Officials:||Your Local Election Official is the best person to contact if you have voting-related questions. They'll be able to provide up-to-date information on rules and deadlines.|